• Welcome to Thailand-Forum for Expats and Travellers - The Koratforum for Art, News & Culture. Please login or sign up.

What visa when the Thai wife died?

Started by Johnnie F., December 30, 2020, 01:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Johnnie F.

On Korat-Info that question has recently been asked, when somebody had found out, that he was all of a sudden on overstay in addition to his mourning, though he had gained a residence permit based on his marriage to a Thai. According to Thai law all privileges based on his marriage to a Thai vanished, when she died

Others confirmed knowing of cases, where this led to problems; one reported of a suicide due to that situation even. The best solution is to not trust in a marriage visa, if there is another way like a pensioner visa.

In the case discussed, the foreigner had built a house, which fell to the deceased wife's Thai children. He had reserved the right to live in that house and make use of it for life. His step-children stand by that.

It has not been confirmed yet, but can be thought, that this right might also have monetary value for getting a pensioner visa now: for one it saves him the rent, if he lives in it himself. If he can rent to somebody, it might bring him income to his pension. Depends upon how the immigration complies etc.

Usually the Thai wife is a lot younger than the foreign husband, but that is no guarantee for her not deceasing before him due to accident or illness.

This brings the consideration which visa to get to a whole new point one should think about!

Taman Tun

Interesting question, Johnnie.  Currently, I am relying on a Work Visa.  However, I will be 74 in March so that cannot go on for ever.
If the old only could, if the young only knew.


based on his marriage to a Thai

very sad , where's the compasion, ( another one off for the rosy picture ) so the same would happen if you divorced
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What makes three plus two?:
How do people in Korat call the Thao Suranaree Monument in the center of town? (Mundo/Yamo/Supa/Mall):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview