Author Topic: Missing red-shirt's mum petitions govt  (Read 617 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Johnnie F.

Missing red-shirt's mum petitions govt
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
Missing red-shirt's mum petitions govt

Sommat Chuaypimai, the mother of a missing red-shirt supporter, has petitioned the Royal Thai Police and Government House to continue digging for the truth about people still missing after the government crackdown on protesters in April and May last year.

There were no senior officials at Government House to receive her petition yesterday, but authorities said they would forward the matter to the minister in charge when they return to work next week.

Ms Sommat, 51, said she had met deputy national police chief Pansiri Prapawat and told him she had heard about four additional burial sites in Rayong's Wat Samor Prong and would like the police to check all the corpses again.

Wat Samor Prong was one of the three temples that received 169 bodies transferred from Chumphon, that authorities said were victims of Typhoon Gay in 1989.

Pol Gen Pansiri said the temple abbot got the numbers wrong and there were no additional unidentified corpses.

But he accepted her petition and said the regional police headquarters would investigate the matter.

Ms Sommat said she just wanted proof whether her son was among the 169 bodies or not.

"There's nothing to hide. I don't want to blame someone or get someone punished," said Ms Sommat, a native of Nakhon Ratchasima's Sung Noen district. "Please understand the heart of a mother who has been waiting for her son to return for the past year. I just want my son's body to make merit."

Her 24-year-old son, Adilak Insanthia, spent last year's Songkran holidays in his hometown and was last seen on the afternoon of April 17 boarding a pickup with no registration plate.

Ms Sommat said she believed her son's disappearance could be related to the red-shirt protest because he had a red scarf and admitted he had protested from time to time.

On Aug 6 last year, she brought the matter to the Pheu Thai Party, whose spokesman Prompong Noppparit promised he would forward the matter to the prime minister. Mr Prompong said he knew about the case but because Pheu Thai was in the opposition then, it could not do much.

According to the People Information Center, two other missing persons related to the red-shirt protest are Mr Prakob Nomcharoen, 59, a native of Chachoengsao and Win Sang-ngam, 43, a native of Buri Ram.

Eight unidentified bodies are unclaimed at Ramathibodi, Rajwithi, Phayathai 1, and Police General hospitals.

Meanwhile, Khon Kaen Provincial Court yesterday approved bail for four red shirts implicated in the arson of the province's provincial hall.

The four are Jirattrakul Summaha, Adisai Wibulsek, Udom Kammoon, and Sutas Singbuakhao.

Mr Sutas, who was also detained for violating the emergency decree, will be kept in detention until late next month.

The four defendants were bailed by four Pheu Thai Khon Kaen MPs who pledged 500,000 baht each.

Meanwhile, the Ubon Ratchathani Court has denied a bail request by nine Pheu Thai lawyers for four defendants who on Wednesday were sentenced to long jail terms.

The court said they might try to jump bail to avoid their harsh sentences.

Bangkok Post
Fun is the one thing that money can't buy
 

 



Thailand
Statistics