• Welcome to Thailand-Forum for Expats and Travellers - The Koratforum for Art, News & Culture. Please login or sign up.

a very good move for all of us

Started by thaiga, December 26, 2020, 12:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaiga

A change from very hot to quite acceptable is no problem for me
Thanks for the info johnnie, you are the lucky one, as you post the hot weather was one of the reasons you came here in the first place

But we are not all the same, even the lop buri monkeys are feeling the cold
pic @ nationthailand.com
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined.

Johnnie F.

There is a difference between continental and sea climate. Germany has continental climate (temperate climate) and the British Isles have sea climate (temperate maritime climate), i.e. in Germany we got colder winters, while on the British Isles winters are not as cold. So I escaped the cold winters. Summers are usually o.k. in Germany.

thaiga

Thanks, Johnnie  so it's a very good move for all of us 
BUT ... although my life is much better here than would be in the UK there are things that do annoy me,
I know no matter where you live nothing can be 100% perfect, if it was maybe it would be boring or of course might be my age.

We have posted what we like about Thailand in regards to back home, so lets have a list of our dislikes here in the land of smiles. just today, as i could hear the usual to much base music playing, i said to the missus, another party in the soi, no, she said, it's in the next village. there you go. 🧏‍♀️

Johnnie F.

Yes, the high volume low sound quality noise from the parties and their Karaoke singing can be quite annoying. When it gets too bad, I close all windows and play my own high quality sound music loud enough to suppress theirs blasting into my ears.

The announcements and the radio playing coming from the local wat at high volume early in the mornings, meant to wake people up and prepare food for the monks' daily alms rounds,  my wife complained to them about and they turned the volume down or moved the speakers blasting into another direction. She is a kind of celebrity here and knows how to argue.

thaiga

The divided line
Thanks for your input j/f. Yes Living near the PYB 🔊 or a school can be a bit deafening at times, but a great form of delivering information. I class that as that's the way it is.

before we go any further into the dislikes dept. i'm far happier with my life here than back home. so before anyone viewing the thread thinks Thaiga if you don't like it then go home. THIS IS MY HOME.  I'm Simply pointing out the the good, bad, even the ugly in the land of smiles.

Earning a living in Thailand. we talked about the handy food stalls in the streets all over LOS with great food, enabling Thais to earn a few bob, some just plot up on the roadside get out their wares and that's it.

now what happens when an expat fries up a bit of chicken at the side of the road, or even helps his family on a food stall, lot's of posts on here about them getting arrested. did they fall fowl of the law. 🐔 he! he!

Taman Tun

The only thing I don't like is the restricted hours available to buy beer and wine.  But having said that, the previous country I spent a lot of time in did not permit the sale of alcohol at any time.
If the old only could, if the young only knew.

Johnnie F.

I don't know about the UK, but in Germany we had - since I can remember - strict shop opening hours. But with beer and wine it was just opposite, you could get this at the "Kiosk" or "Trinkhalle" or "Wasserhäuschen" (little water house), usually a shop window opening to the side walk, all the time.

What is a "Trinkhalle", translated "drinking hall"? Maybe something similar to the English pub, but outside, maybe with a roof and some boards and benches, but no tables or chairs. All year round people are standing around that shop window with beer bottles in their hands...

You probably can't imagine that. When my friend John from London visited me in Germany around 1975, he asked me to take a picture of one with him and maybe 20 other people on it to show his friends back home. He later told me that upon seeing that the people in his local Bellingham pub were all shaking their heads not understanding this part of German culture. :spin

In the evening after working hours they usually get crowded.

Photo: www.journal-frankfurt.de

Taman Tun

thaiga

Quote from: Taman Tun on January 13, 2021, 12:44:01 PMThe only thing I don't like is the restricted hours available to buy beer and wine.  But having said that, the previous country I spent a lot of time in did not permit the sale of alcohol at any time.
Yes T.T. Goodbye Dubai, illegal to drink any alcohol in a public place, including beaches. don't drink too much on the plane, even if it's a stopover You could be arrested for being under the influence even if you don't leave the airport. a drinker i believe needs a permit.

Quote from: Johnnie F. on January 13, 2021, 01:03:22 PMWhat is a "Trinkhalle", translated "drinking hall"? Maybe something similar to the English pub, but outside,  part of German culture. :spin
In the evening after working hours they usually get crowded.

Hi johnnie, that's great, drink all at a Trinkhalle. i think when alcohol is readily available people tend to drink less, when the 10 minute drinking up time bell goes in the UK, people tend to knock em back like there's no tommorrow.  :drink

Johnnie F.

Quote from: thaiga on January 13, 2021, 02:16:46 PMwhen alcohol is readily available people tend to drink less, when the 10 minute drinking up time bell goes in the UK, people tend to knock em back like there's no tommorrow.  :drink

There is an old saying in German: "Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's"! (Hops and malt, God preserve it!) Politicians, who would take any steps to restrict free consumption of beer or wine would definitely have ended their careers attempting that. Just look at those institutions like the "Oktoberfest" and the multitude of the other beer festivals, or the wine festivals along the Rhine River.

Drinking age for beer and wine officially is 16 in Germany, 14, when consumed with a meal. When I was in school, 8th grade, 13 years old, there was a beer restaurant just across the street, where us boys from my class went on Saturdays after school closed to have our "Schöppchen" (a 0.25l glass of export beer with 5.5% alcohol). Nobody saw anything wrong with that, least our teachers. It wasn't about the beer and getting drunk; it was more a ceremony to conclude that week in school, open the weekend. It was about growing up with traditions. And none of us had an alcohol problem later in life.

"Feierabend" (after work hours, but translated bei word "evening celebration") just gets opened with a bottle beer, called "Feierabendbier". It's tradition and keeps healthy and stable: mentally and pysically!

:cheers

thaiga

Oh! no it's that Thaiga again picking holes in peoples posts

Quote from: Taman Tun on January 13, 2021, 12:44:01 PMThe only thing I don't like is the restricted hours available to buy beer and wine.
:wave T.T. if that's the only thing you don't like then it was  a very good move for you

Quote from: Johnnie F. on January 13, 2021, 04:16:47 PMIt was about growing up with traditions. And none of us had an alcohol problem later in life.
:wave Johnnies recalling about past experiences of days of old, bless him. do i get a hint of the drinking laws in Germanys are more relaxed than in Thailand. could be a thaiga point off there M8. (a very good move for you) as how many bans do we get here.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the replies guys very interesting comments, but my post was pointing to The divided line what's good for one should be good for all
when an expat fries up a bit of chicken to sell at the side of the road. :salute

Johnnie F.

When Thailand has laws restricting the acquisition of alcoholic beverages they probably do it for a purpose. Comparing their laws to my home country is to show, that they fail in their approach.

But is that restriction affecting me? No, because I can buy my beer at times it is free to buy and consume it when I feel like.

Your point of condemning an expat frying chicken at the roadside to sell is something Thais should argue about. As long as they or their authorities don't mind, it's fine with me. I don't have to buy from him, if I'd think his chicken were less good than fried by a Thai. Whether he is permitted to do that by Thai law is not my business.

When you look at other countries, you'll see that most of them restrict business or labor by immigrants for the reason of protecting their labor market from influxes of cheap labor. Brexit already forgotten?

thaiga

Your point of condemning an expat frying chicken at the roadside to sell is something Thais should argue about that one 
Then your defeating the object of the thread, we are not arguing but discussing, that's what the thread is about.

anyway that's your opinion, in fact Thai's think it's quite amusing and so does the media, you know the score, you can bring the money in, but woe betide you if you try to earn a few bob here. a guy helping his wife on a food stall, i think that's nice, WAS UP johnnie you don't want to voice your opinion on that. Then there's no point in carrying on

as for the laws in other countries Thai's work everywhere with no problem, most under handed.

But is that restriction affecting me? No, because I can buy my beer at times it is free to buy and consume it when I feel like.
so can we all, the thread is not all about you, it involves all our lives here. i don't drink anyway.

Johnnie F.

Quote from: thaiga on January 13, 2021, 06:26:13 PMyour defeating the object of the thread, we are not arguing but discussing, that's what the thread is about.

When you're exchanging views about likes and dislikes you are always arguing and not merely discussing, because of your personal viewpoint.

Quote from: thaiga on January 13, 2021, 06:26:13 PMWAS UP johnnie you don't want to voice your opinion on that.

Like I said: "As long as they (our Thai hosts) or their authorities don't mind, it's fine with me". When people (expats) tear up their mouths about that, I don't have to join.

thaiga

Quote from: Johnnie F. on January 13, 2021, 07:15:10 PMWhen you're exchanging views about likes and dislikes you are always arguing and not merely discussing, because of your personal viewpoint.
Thais should argue about that one - so is that exchanging views

end of story m8 - i'm sure your other members will keep the thread going

Johnnie F.

I know plenty of foreigners who help in their wives' businesses one way or another. It's their own decision, how far they can go with that. All of the Thais I know fully appreciate that. It's just sometimes that government people see a problem in that for one or another purpose, not necessarily reason.

A rule or justification doesn't exist and won't be found. It depends upon tolerance, of what the Thais have plenty, but many expats only little.

thaiga

Now it all makes sense as you post.  Thais have plenty of tolerance but many expats only little
That's how you feel so that must make the discusions in this thread a bit one sided with your replies

and there's me thinking you were going for the title once more for the humbug award  :lol

Johnnie F.

thaiga

I thought i might try & rescue this thread - you might want to put your crash helmet on when entering ⛑️
a very good move for all of us - but will it stay that way
Drugs, Guns, roadrage, more and more in the news everyday, you can deny it if you want, but it's still there, Thailand has a growing problem of drugs and the violence associated with it. About one in ten people in Thailand legally own a gun. There are more than six million registered guns in a country with a population of 66.7 million.
todays bangkokpost pic

Taman Tun

The page from the Bangkok Post looks quite dramatic but I think it is misleading. Part of the problem is that the Mittraphap Highway seems to be a major artery for drugs being shipped from Laos/Myanmar down south to Bangkok and onwards to Malaysia. Hence, the large number of interceptions along the Highway.  Locally in Korat there does not seem to be much of a problem with drugs or guns.  Or maybe I should get out more.

thaiga

Quote from: Taman Tun on January 15, 2021, 12:15:22 PMOr maybe I should get out more.
Hi T.T. you are so polite & thanks for your reply, the quote i got was from en.wikipedia.org Thailand has a growing problem of drugs and the violence associated with it. no mention of Korat from them, and yes i don't see much of a problem here.

I have been feeding the cold and hungry soi dogs with scraps of leftovers which they quickly woof down. another one of Thailands problems that seems ignored & overlooked for so long. you really can't blame the dogs as they don't ask to be here, some hit by vehicles just hobbling along best they can, so called a mans best friend, lacking humanity, kindness, compassion, sad to see them suffering ☹️

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
How do people in Korat call the Thao Suranaree Monument in the center of town? (Mundo/Yamo/Supa/Mall):
What makes three plus two?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview