• Welcome to Thailand-Forum for Expats and Travellers - The Koratforum for Art, News & Culture. Please login or sign up.

a very good move for all of us

Started by thaiga, December 26, 2020, 12:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaiga

Quote from: Johnnie F. on December 25, 2020, 08:03:12 PM
I'm happy about not being in Germany anymore - or in the US, Brazil, UK or Russia, which all have much higher infection rates even. It was a good move to emigrate to Thailand! :)

Quote from: Taman Tun on December 26, 2020, 03:49:52 AM
Yes, Eurexit was a very good move for all of us.

a very good move for all of us - stating the obvious regards the virus - lets hope it was a good move as it's not over yet - until the fat lady sings.
meaning: as we presume to know the outcome of an event which is still in progress.

BUT ... Alas it doesn't stop there, There are more dangers lurking. IMO Thailand is not the old land of smiles it was, the happy go loving country we moved to many years ago. you can say you've been here to long m8, but no it's changed. lets not kid ourselves. if we ever get over this coronavirus which i sincerely hope so, the flow of expats will never be the same. we have been slowly squeezed all the way round, starting with the exchange rates, to new visa rules, with money in the bank sitting there. rate of about 0.50%.

Drugs is another big problem as we read in the news. then there is the danger on the roads, driving which use to be a pleasure going out for the day, now i hate it, don't blow your horn you might get more than you bargained for.

now pick the bones outa that  ;) Well it is Boxing Day  :punch
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined.

Taman Tun

I am sure that the UK was also a better place years ago.  The past is always remembered with a rosy glow.  Summers were always warmer, the girls prettier and ale was a tanner a pint. 

Just think of the advantages we have in Thailand:-

Good weather all year round.  There are no nasty cold dark days of winter.  Providing it is not cancelled due to Covid, we will be spending Countdown in an outdoor restaurant. 

Children and young people are so respectful of elders.  There is no danger of being mugged and stabbed by gangs of feral kids.

Light touch of the law.  In Thailand you will not be dragged before the magistrates for illegal parking or painting the walls of your house the wrong colour.

Freedom of speech.  In Thailand you can say anything you like (Royal Family excluded).  In the UK if you call a black person black, then plod will soon be knocking on your door.  The West seems to be completely overrun with BLM politically correct taking the knee nonsense. 

Money.  The Baht is a pretty good currency to hold.  The freezing of UK pensions is not a Thai problem.  It is a result of the fraudulent decision of the UK government to freeze pensions in certain countries.

Healthcare.  There are a range of facilities to satisfy all pockets from Maharat to Bangkok Hospital.  At all of these facilities it is possible to get immediate service.  This is in contrast with "our NHS, envy of the world" where it takes weeks to get an appointment. 

Driving.  Driving in Thailand compares favourably with other countries I have been in.  In the UK you are likely to be stuck on a motorway for 12 hours whilst plod clears away a minor accident. 

So, no contest. Thailand is #1.

If the old only could, if the young only knew.

thaiga

Thanks T.T. That is really a rosy picture of Thailand i'm proud of you - but that's no way to win back The Top Spot in being
the no.1 place in 'Bah! Humbug' running.

Yes of course driving is a pleasure here and the air quality is just tops  ;D
Healthcare is so inexpensive at Bangkok hospital
mr plod is so helpfull never looking for a handout
Freedom of speech  :-X

God bless your little heart  :wai

thaiga

Quote from: Johnnie F. on December 25, 2020, 08:03:12 PM
I'm happy about not being in Germany anymore - or in the US, Brazil, UK or Russia, which all have much higher infection rates even. It was a good move to emigrate to Thailand! :)
would you feel it was still be a good move if the virus never existed - like our friend T.T.

thaiga

Quote from: thaiga on December 26, 2020, 12:25:43 PM
a very good move for all of us - stating the obvious regards the virus - lets hope it was a good move as it's not over yet - until the fat lady sings.
Famous last words, a very good move for all of us - stating the obvious regards the virus - even when the cavalry arrive with the vaccine, more problems could arise as not all want to take it. the media reports, because of anti-vaccine misinformation campaigns.

Polls have shown many Europeans are unwilling to take the vaccine, which could impede efforts to beat the virus and reach widespread immunisation.

Despite hi-tech advances, many Europeans wary of taking COVID shot article from  reuters.com

Europe rolled out a huge COVID-19 vaccination drive on Sunday to try to rein in the coronavirus pandemic but many Europeans are sceptical about the speed at which the vaccines have been tested and approved and reluctant to have the shot. At the front of the Queue was 101 yr. old gurtrude. as in vid below

Video here reuters.com/video

Johnnie F.

Quote from: thaiga on December 27, 2020, 11:49:26 AM
would you feel it was still be a good move if the virus never existed - like our friend T.T.

Of course!

thaiga

Quote from: Johnnie F. on December 30, 2020, 05:13:29 PM
Of course!
Yes of course, Bless you. you've been here to long to go anywhere else  ;)  i was a bit lost when i made a visit to the UK in 2008.

As for the virus there just might be some truth in alternative medicines, as Fah Talai Jone Tests on Covid-19 patients whose symptoms were not very severe showed them improving in three days without any side-effects. but they mighta got better anyway, following the media the most in danger are those with an underlying condition. stay safe guys.

Traditional cold medicine, Fah Talai Jone, to be used on Covid patients in five hospitals
nationthailand.com

thaiga

Quote from: thaiga on December 30, 2020, 09:52:51 PM

As for the virus there just might be some truth in alternative medicines, as Fah Talai Jone Tests on Covid-19 patients whose symptoms were not very severe showed them improving in three days without any side-effects. but they mighta got better anyway, following the media the most in danger are those with an underlying condition. stay safe guys.

Traditional cold medicine, Fah Talai Jone, to be used on Covid patients in five hospitals
nationthailand.com
Well there you go - koratfart.com  Fah Talai Jone  cleared and ready to go as vaccine registration opens

thaiga

Quote from: Taman Tun on December 26, 2020, 01:57:20 PM

Just think of the advantages we have in Thailand

Good weather all year round. 
Hello T.T. are you enjoying the weather, is this another one off the rosy pic we paint  ;)

Temperatures are expected to fall 1-3 degrees Celsius in the North and the Northeast

Taman Tun

Current temperature in Korat is 21C.  A temperature of 21C in the UK would trigger "Phew, what a scorcher" headlines in the Sun.

thaiga

thaiga

Hi T.T. after a long drawn out meeting on the subject of the humbug award, the committee has withdrawn the award from the admin, for his work of late in updating the forum, and unlike some, he foots the bill for the lot, pays for all. hardly a humbug. But i warn you i'm right behind you, if i get a chance, i'll be in there.

so it looks like your still no.1

Taman Tun

Thank you, Thaiga.  My humbug award is well deserved, even if I say so myself.  I second what you say about Johnnie.  He has done a brilliant job over the past few days, much appreciated.  BTW the clock is 2  minutes fast.

Johnnie F.

Quote from: Taman Tun on January 07, 2021, 07:45:00 AMBTW the clock is 2  minutes fast.

Every time I look at it, it seems to show another difference. The problem is, it does not keep running, while the page is open. It shows the correct time of when you opened the page! Don't know whether the inability to keep running is caused by a mistake in the programming of the forum software or by the server. And it is set to use Bangkok Time automatically as default, but it doesn't, so I set it to server time + 7 hours, that is time in Germany + 7 hours.

Don't forget, that our present software is a release candidate only. The developers are still working on improving it, fixing minor bugs. I keep getting lots or error messages still, but none very serious, just unimportant stuff (not addressed in the programming yet) like "Unable to verify referring URL" (of a guest or crawling spider) or log-in problems of spambots etc.  :mrgreen 

When this forum was started, it ran on a release candidate as well, which was developed fine over the years. Just Google's perception of the changed use of technology (smartphones, tablets etc.) outdated it.

thaiga

Quote from: Taman Tun on January 07, 2021, 07:45:00 AMThank you, Thaiga.  My humbug award is well deserved, even if I say so myself.  I second what you say about Johnnie.  He has done a brilliant job over the past few days, much appreciated.  BTW the clock is 2  minutes fast.
humbug award
Yes T.T.  :wave  looks like your up for the job
He has done a brilliant job.  But ... the clock is 2  minutes fast.

Johnnie F.

All TT has to do is set the clocks in his house two minutes ahead for them to match the forum time. I don't have a problem like that.

thaiga

Quote from: Johnnie F. on January 07, 2021, 05:51:13 PMAll TT has to do is set the clocks in his house two minutes ahead for them to match the forum time. I don't have a problem like that.
Yes he'd be early for work  :salute 

logged out time reads      11:55:37 PM
logged in  time is correct  04:56:09 PM

thaiga

Quote from: Taman Tun on December 26, 2020, 01:57:20 PMI am sure that the UK was also a better place years ago.

What would you guys miss if you was to go back home - what would you miss most .............

we are still in a better position here healthwise as Thailand has managed to keep infection rates relatively low since the initial outbreak, yes cases have past 10,000, in Thailand, but looking at the figures back home. UK has recorded the highest number of coronavirus deaths in a single day since the start of the pandemic as of Jan 8, 2021 and a record number of new Covid cases was also recorded, more than 68,000 in a 24 hours period.

BUT ... IT APPEARS THE FAT LADY AIN'T SINGING YET.

Johnnie F.

Quote from: thaiga on January 10, 2021, 12:52:53 PMWhat would you guys miss if you was to go back home - what would you miss most .............

If I were to go back to Germany now, unless I bought a new house or condo somewhere appealing to me, I had the option to live in a cold and remote countryside town near my old mum and my narcissistic brother, who both haven't given up telling me how to live, or in a small condo in a suburb of the hectic city Frankfurt/M, that has been overrun by criminals from Eastern Europe and bankers escaping London.

So, what would I miss? Self-determination, space, distance and safety, not only from the coronavirus. In younger years I liked big cities for their cultural offerings like cinemas, theaters, concert halls, libraries, bars and parks where people meet, the countryside I found boring. Here I like the quietness and calm of the countryside. Not including, when they blast from the wat in the morning of course!  I guess that change in my preference is age-related.

thaiga

Quote from: thaiga on January 10, 2021, 12:52:53 PMWhat would you guys miss if you was to go back home - what would you miss most .............

Hey Johnnie that's a good honest answer - i guess it's a tough question for some 
quietness and calm of the countryside, yes calmness, peacefulness, quiet, and serenity.
When things change inside you, things change around you.

Madness then into the quietness and calm of the countryside - i have like many experienced both back in the UK moving out of london to the countryside, yes i do miss that at times, but found an even better life here. the reason i asked the question was i see the same posted on another website.

if you were to go back home - what would you miss most .............
one of the top answers was THE BUM GUN  :fart  :spin wait and see if we get anymore replies then i'll tell yer what i would miss most

Taman Tun

I would miss the good weather.  Even when it is raining, the rain is warm.  I would also miss the many convenient and cheap modes of transport:- Songtel right past our front door, motocy taxis, provincial buses etc.  I would miss the wonderful Thai food.  I would also miss the atmosphere where it is always possible to get things done, where bureaucracy and regulations are overruled by common sense. This is in complete contrast to the UK where regulations are followed to the letter and common sense is not deployed.

thaiga

Quote from: thaiga on January 10, 2021, 08:51:32 PMif you were to go back home - what would you miss most .............
one of the top answers was THE BUM GUN  :fart  :spin wait and see if we get anymore replies then i'll tell yer what i would miss most
:wave Hi, T.T. Thank  you for your reply and yes all of that goes for me as well, but what are we forgetting here, the most important thing in our live's that most of us would have a problem getting by without. The bum gun i could live without and if that's the most important for some, my heart goes out to them.

what would i miss most would be my Thai family meaning Mrs.T + 2 kids i would miss dearly. if the truth be known they are the most important thing in my life. my thai son, 18 yrs old, my birthday, christmas time and new year, doesn't by cards from the shop, but makes them by hand, that i think is nice.

I asked my thai daughter 22 years old, what do you want for the new year, she answered, for you and mum to stay fit & healthy for ever and ever.
so there you have it.  Oh! and mrs.T has looked after the moaning Thaiga for about 17 years.
a very good move for all of us i think it was  :wai

Taman Tun

Thaiga, you are right.  It goes without saying that the family would be most missed.

Taman Tun

With regard to Covid, Thailand is currently in a far better state than the UK and the rest of Europe.  Fingers crossed for the next few days. I hope we do not see a surge following the New Year travel period.

Johnnie F.

Things like the bum gun can be taken along or even purchased via mail order. I installed one 20 years ago in my mum's house. The problem is the temperature of the pipe-water, that might freeze your butts. So I installed it after the water-heater.

Thai food can also be prepared in a kichen anywhere or enjoined in those Thai restaurants all over the globe.

Missing the warm weather is out of question, as it was one of the reasons I came here in the first place. And of course totally out of question also is moving somewhere else without my closest (Thai) family.

The question remains, what would I miss of what I had to leave behind.

The many small food stalls at the roadside, that in Europe are not allowed to operate due to over-regulation. Those are included in self-determination (where and what to buy).

The live and let live attitude of Thais. Naturally once in a while there are conflicts between people everywhere. But in Germany almost every minor misunderstanding leads to calling the cops or filing hair-splitting claims at court. Here more of those are settled by Phu Yai Ban, Khamnan or the police, mediation is more common here than in Europe, where more people ask for higher authorities like trained judges to decide their problems to the finest details. There is more tolerance in Thai society as well.

thaiga

Thanks for those that took time out to reply  :salute

With regard to Covid, Thailand is currently in a far better state than the UK and the rest of Europe
Yes T.T. we all must agree with your post, in the last 5 days alone 2,148 have recovered and the past deaths are mostly those with an underlying problem.

as johnnie posts The many small food stalls at the roadside, The live and let live attitude, court claims that are settled by the PYB. good points there and where in the world can you fill your tummy for a mere 30 bht. i eat noodles nearly every day delivered to the door, not because of the price but i like it and it saves all that cooking.

So by the talk of the experts our covid problems are not good but they ain't bad either, we are in front when you look around the globe.

lets hope ...THE FAT LADY SINGS HER HEART OUT SOON! 🎤 👩‍🎤 🎵

thaiga

❄️ a very chilly move for all of us ❄️
Wow! it's cold, i had to laugh as one of the main reasons posted, that we are attracted to Thailand is the hot weather, i think it feels more cold than it is, as most of us have been accustomed to it being hot.
NOW ...
as the weather pattern is changing, just supposing it stayed like it is now. Hmm!
wot a falt  :oops "Well, stranger things have happened."

Johnnie F.

You really don't like the 22 degrees we got in Korat, would wish for the 9 degrees and rain in London? :mrgreen

thaiga

Quote from: Johnnie F. on January 12, 2021, 03:03:15 PMYou really don't like the 22 degrees we got in Korat, would wish for the 9 degrees and rain in London? :mrgreen
Did i say that or did you miss something  :spin  now read it again  :rclxs0

as most of us have been accustomed to it being hot.
NOW ...
as the weather pattern is changing, just supposing it stayed like it is now. Hmm!
wot a falt  :oops "Well, stranger things have happened."

Johnnie F.

When I took my wife the first time to Germany in July/August 1991 there were temperatures like here now. Of course she felt cold.

But I have been moving around different climate zones all my life. A change from very hot to quite acceptable is no problem for me.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What makes three plus two?:
How do people in Korat call the Thao Suranaree Monument in the center of town? (Mundo/Yamo/Supa/Mall):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview