• Welcome to Thailand-Forum for Expats and Travellers - The Koratforum for Art, News & Culture. Please login or sign up.

Ambition

Started by Taman Tun, November 28, 2020, 07:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taman Tun

I have just been reading the autobiography of Alan Johnson (definitely not to be confused with Boris Johnson).  A great deal of the book covers his childhood in a very poor part of London.  It put me in mind of the Monty Python sketch where four Yorkshiremen were arguing as to who had the poorest upbringing:- "We lived in shoebox in middle of t' road."

Anyway, I digress.

Alan, as a boy had a great ambition:- He wanted to be a pop star.

The Rolling Stones also had a great ambition:- They wanted to be the best blues band in west London.

So, how did it work out?  Alan's first job was as a postman before he became a Labour Member of Parliament.  The highest office he reached was Home Secretary.  He never became a pop star.

The Rolling Stones achieved their ambition with their regular performances at the Station Hotel in Richmond.  Arguably, their careers went downhill after that.

So, Johnson completely failed in his ambition because "pop star" is too vague.  He didn't know if he wanted to be the new Elvis, Elton John or Johnny Rotten.  On the other hand, the Stones succeeded in their ambition by targeting a particular type of music in a particular geographic area.

Personally, I was brought up in bus shelter at side of t' road and never had any particular ambition.  Which is why I ended up living in Korat.

Here is Python sketch

vid embedded by thaiga
If the old only could, if the young only knew.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What makes three plus two?:
How do people in Korat call the Thao Suranaree Monument in the center of town? (Mundo/Yamo/Supa/Mall):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview