Author Topic: Pupils face new exam regime  (Read 756 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline thaiga

Pupils face new exam regime
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
Onet tests to be used in overall assessment

The Education Ministry will use scores from central examinations to assess students' academic achievement nationwide to determine if they are qualified to move up to higher classes, starting this coming school semester.

The move is a bid to ensure students' achievement is assessed under the same standard nationwide, caretaker Education Minister Chaturon Chaisaeng said.

Instead of being determined purely by scores from examinations at their schools, their scores from the Ordinary National Education Test (Onet) and the central examinations of the Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec) will also be considered, Mr Chaturon said.

The standard will be applied nationwide from the forthcoming 2014 academic year which begins in May.

At present, all Prathom 6, Mathayom 3 and Mathayom 6 students are required to undertake the Onet tests in eight core subjects. The tests are organised annually by the National Institute of Educational Testing Service (Niets).

A total of 30% of Onet scores will be used in exit exam results for Prathom 6, Mathayom 3 and Mathayom 6 students during this academic year. The remaining 70% will come from schools’ assessments.

The ratio will be increased to 50:50 in the 2015 academic year.

In addition, Obec will roll out standardised, nationwide tests called the central exams for Prathom 2, 4, 5 and Mathayom 1 and 2 students.

The ministry will use 15% of the scores and another 15% of the marks achieved at final exams of the Education Service Area Offices to decide if they should be moved to higher classes. The remainder of the scores will come from mid-term tests.

For Prathom 3, the students will be required to sit in the National Test (NT) which is organised annually by Obec.

"The academic achievement assessments by Onet, central exams and the NT will help ensure that students' achievement is assessed under the same standard nationwide," Mr Chaturon said.

However, there has been concern that the central assessments will worsen educational disparity and inequality problems at schools.

"The educational disparity problem has always existed and it will still be there. We do not expect to cause more stress and pressure, but provide the overall results of students’ academic performance assessed under the same standard, leading to development in education," he said.

The ministry will explain central assessments on students’ academic performance to schools and the public, he said.

Meanwhile, the Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment plans to evaluate the quality of schools and universities nationwide using national educational tests including Onet, Vocational National Educational Test, and University National Educational Test as indicators.

There has been concern among agencies which fear the tests do not meet standards.

bangkokpost
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined.
 

Offline Johnnie F.

Re: Pupils face new exam regime
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »
The Education Ministry will use scores from central examinations to assess students' academic achievement nationwide to determine if they are qualified to move up to higher classes, starting this coming school semester.

Does that mean they want to begin letting students repeat the whole school year, who failed the grade standards?

Voices in Germany are increasingly questioning the sense of having "repeaters" sit in the next grade, getting brandmarked as "losers", and obstructing the classes they are required to sit in for (partial) failure.
Fun is the one thing that money can't buy
 

 



Thailand
Statistics